Not sure if you have Mercury Poisoning?
How do I know if I have Mercury Poisoning?
Well suffice it to say if you have at least one Mercury Filling that you have had for a good period of time you may have some level of poisoning, the more fillings you have obviously the more you are likely to be exposed to Mercury.
It might be useful to there are 3 different types of Mercury.
Which Type of Mercury Should I be tested for?
Elemental mercury is used in some thermometers, fluorescent light bulbs, some electrical switches, mining, and some industrial processes. It is released into the air when coal and other fossil fuels are burned. Elemental Mercury is what is used in Dental Fillings so this is the one you want to get tested for.
People may also be exposed when they breathe air containing elemental mercury vapors - when we breath in vapors released from brushing, chewing, etc. or where they are present in workplaces ie dental offices, smelting operations, and locations where mercury has been spilled or released.
There is also inorganic mercury this is when mercury combines with other elements, such as sulfur or oxygen, to form compounds or salts. They can occur naturally in the environment and it's compounds are sometimes used in industrial processes and to make other chemicals. Sometimes even in cosmetic skin creams.
Organic mercury compounds are formed when mercury combines with carbon. Microscopic organisms in water and soil can convert elemental and inorganic mercury into an organic mercury compound, methylmercury, which accumulates in the food chain.
People may be exposed when they eat fish or shellfish contaminated with methylmercury - eg Tuna, Salmon, etc - eat much sushi?. Methylmercury can pass through the placenta, exposing the developing foetus.
Ways to get tested for Mercury Poisoning
There are 3 ways you can get tested for Mercury Poisoning:-
Hair Test - It has been argued that although this is less invasive it is less accurate and you will need to have a look on the web to see where you can get this done.
Blood Tests - Elevated mercury in blood usually indicates exposure to organic mercury (ie from eating fish containing methylmercury) or recent exposure to a high level of elemental mercury vapor.
Urine Testing - this is the one I did and is said to be the most accurate as it will test your exposure to elemental or inorganic sources of Mercury, such as from a job that uses Mercury or your fillings.
My doctors provided me with a short dose of DMSA (dimercaptosuccinic acid) and a sample was then sent off to the lab for testing which gave me a list of all my metals not just Mercury. However I have since been warned that doing a DMSA Provocation Test is not recommended - concerns around the metals redistributing and not eliminating correctly I believe - so you may want to explore different options and you definitely do no want to do if you have poor elimination so get this checked first!
In my case though I got DMSA treatment which I did under the supervision of my doctor which you want to do as they will need to keep an eye on your liver and kidney function throughout.
There is something called (DMPS dimercaptopropanesulfonic acid) that can be used but is considered to be quite toxic so typically doctors will opt for the oral DMSA option.
I would like to provide a list of Doctor's Surgeries and Clinics that would provide Heavy Metal Testing and Treatments.
If you are one such Provider or know of an outfit that would be open to helping Kiwi's with this please contact us via the 'Contact' Page.